Contact us/Who are we?

Events Schedule
250th Celebrations!!!
Items for Sale
Site Markers
Digital Library
Capital Improvement
Become a Member
Contact Us - Who are we?
Links of Interest
Directions
Home
Campton Historical Society
PO Box 160
Campton, NH 03223
Call: (603) 536-5140
E-mail us at: CamptonHistorical@gmail.com

 

Paul Yelle, President

Mary O'Brien, Vice President

Martha Aguiar, Secretary

Kathryn (Dede) Joyce, Treasurer

Brenda Boisvert, Curator

Robert Mardin, Librarian

Nancy Mardin, Program Director

Mary Ellen Bourque, Publicity

Directors:

Patricia Barker

Mary Ellen Bourque

Barbara Currier

Scott Pulsifer

Ann Verow

The present site of the Blair Bridge was originally a ford between sections of town. The first bridge was built in 1829, and was destroyed by an arsonist. The present bridge was erected in 1870, and includes one timber from the original. At 292' 10", it is the second longest covered bridge entirely within the boundaries of the state. It has 2 spans, and is of "long truss with arches" type of construction. The 4 corners were rebuilt in 1977 by the famous Milton Graton.  Blair is the last remaining bridge in New Hampshire constructed using Long's patented truss design.

The Town House on Route 175 is the Society's headquarters. Completed in 1855, it served as Town Hall, library, and municipal court. In 1910, renovations included adding tin walls, which are still there today. An extension for the Campton Grange #93 was added in 1912.

Also at this location, is the 1903 Carriage House, with space for the road agent. Today, it holds one of the valuable artifacts of the society, the 1889 Town Hearse. These buildings are presently being restored, and are being used to create exhibits, and to safely contain our valuable collections.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Powered by MailChimp