STOP BY - The building is open to the public Thursdays 9-4.

An introduction to the society brochure. A bridge to the past in Campton
Events Schedule
Old Home Day
Items for Sale
Site Markers
Digital Library
Capital Improvement
Become a Member
Contact Us - Who are we?
Links of Interest
Directions
Home

Blair Bridge model made from Bob Pulsifer's barn boards was recently presented to CHS. It was made by Plymouth Regional High School students during their building trades class. Aliza's article
The Campton Historical Society is open to membership for all those with an interest in our town's heritage. Our mission is to preserve this heritage through the acquisition and care of artifacts, documents, and other information of historic value; and to make these resources available to others researching our heritage. We also will recognize and protect significant historical structures and sites. Another part of our mission is to serve as an educational resource through public presentations and lectures, printed information, exhibits, and special events.
The present site of the Blair Bridge was originally a ford between sections of town. The first bridge was built in 1829, and was destroyed by an arsonist. The present bridge was erected in 1870, and includes one timber from the original. At 292' 10", it is the second longest covered bridge entirely within the boundaries of the state. It has 2 spans, and is of "long truss with arches" type of construction. The 4 corners were rebuilt in 1977 by the famous Milton Graton.  Blair is the last remaining bridge in New Hampshire constructed using Long's patented truss design.
The Town House on Route 175 is the Society's headquarters. Completed in 1855, it served as Town Hall, library, and municipal court. In 1910, renovations included adding tin walls, which are still there today. An extension for the Campton Grange #93 was added in 1912.
Also at this location, is the 1903 Carriage House, with space for the road agent. Today, it holds one of the valuable artifacts of the society, the 1889 Town Hearse. These buildings are presently being restored, and are being used to create exhibits, and to safely contain our valuable collections.

These businesses are supporters of Campton Historical Society. Please thank and support them, and click their logo for a direct link to their web site.

HISTORIAN LEVEL SUPPORTER

HISTORIAN LEVEL SUPPORTER

HISTORIAN LEVEL SUPPORTER

HISTORIAN LEVEL SUPPORTER

HISTORIAN LEVEL SUPPORTER

HISTORIAN LEVEL SUPPORTER

HISTORIAN LEVEL SUPPORTER

HISTORIAN LEVEL SUPPORTER

 

These businesses are supporters of Campton Historical Society, incorporated in 1991, and registered as a 401 (c) 3 organization.


We are members of the Waterville Valley Region Chamber of Commerce